- “My kidneys hurt” is a popular saying in French which means to have a backache. Did you know that back pain can be caused by a kidney problem? The kidneys are suspended behind the abdominal organs, supported against the hip flexor called the psoas and they slide up or down like a train on rails. The psoas start at the spine and attach to the thigh. A tension in the psoas will result in a loss of mobility of the spine causing pain in the lower back, hips and buttocks.
- Kidney dysfunction is manifested by a lack of downward or upward mobility. Loss of kidney mobility can occur due to:
– Abdominal or pelvic surgery
– Weight loss
– Chronic cough
– PostureAbdominal and pelvic scarring, such as a caesarean section, can also cause a lack of mobility to the kidney via the envelopes called fascia. Other backaches caused by the kidneys could also be due to a change in the volume of the abdominal cavity, like childbirth or to an important and sudden weight loss.
- The seated position will promote a lack in kidney mobility, like truckers who suffer repeated seated impacts. The therapist will first have to evaluate the position and mobility of the kidneys to adequately treat kidney blockage along with the back pain.
Articles from our clinic
In the last few years, concussion has been the health subject that has drawn a lot of attention. Sports such as hockey and football have been particularly singled out, especially the NFL which has been accused of not being as transparent as it could have been with the long-term negative effects of concussions and how the injuries are treated by the teams.
Spinal Manipulation is the application of controlled force to a joint, moving it beyond the normal range of motion in an effort to aid in restoring health. Manipulation may be performed as a part of other therapies or whole medical systems, including osteopathy, massage, and naturopathy.
The word holistic is often used in discussing a person’s health or treatment, but many people are still uncertain exactly what it means. The word holistic comes from the Greek word holos, meaning “entire” or “all.” Rather than some weird definition, holistic treatment simply means treating the entire person.
Here are exercises that can be done by yourself if you have temporomandibular joint problems.
A client consults in physiotherapy following a bad fall in the stairs that resulted in a long scratch along the inside of her leg, down to the ankle. Following a careful analysis of the resulting edema, Mr Guindon recommends a massotherapy treatment with Sophie. With this type of injury, our body calls out different internal systems to first, defend itself and then, regenerate healthy new tissues around the injured area. The inflammatory and cellular repair phases were almost completed when we started treatment. At that point, there were no more remaining visible edemas on the outside of the skin, only a small bulge around the top tibial plateau area. In massothe allowsrapy, we view this tissue accumulation as a potential gridlock for blood circulation as well as a lack of tissue elasticity. We therefore focused our interventions around these areas : A lymphatic drainage promotes a better blood and lymphatic flow that allows better elimination through nourishment and oxygenation of damaged tissues. Using strokes of vibration, effleurage and petrissage, we were able to reestablish healthy blood flow, increasing internal temperature which in turn will help increase elasticity of the connecting tissues through what we call, myofascial release. Working on improving […]